Thursday, November 18, 2010

thinning the closet.

My parents are visiting our family in the Philippines early next year. I don't know if I have ever talked about my mother's family before, but she is one of nine children and her entire family still lives in the Philippines. It is insane to me that my mother was once a different person than she is today... that she was once young and single... with no children... probably a lot more of a free spirit than she is today... with her current life of schedules, bills, cooking, cleaning, working... so weird.

Anyway, about every three to five years our family goes to the Philippines for a month.  This is the first year our parents are going without us.  Every time we go, we get rid of a bunch of our old things and give them away.  Our family isn't completely poor, but they do appreciate free American clothing.  So, I am currently going through my closet and trying to purge myself of pieces that are crowding my space.  It is a lot more difficult than I always think it will be...

I see an item. 
I decide I do not like it anymore.
I remember the fun memories I had wearing that item.
I throw it in a box.
I walk away...

     ... I come back.
I remember another memory I had wearing that item.
I think of another item that would better this item when worn together.
I think... "yay, new outfit!"
I put said item back into closet.
I am back at square one.

Damnit.

... slowly but surely my closet is becoming less crowded. It's really not a fun game though. I guess I just need to remember eventually I will refill the holes with new things until the next time my family goes across the sea.


In other news... my favorite cousin had a birthday this week.  Last weekend my friends and I took her out in Chicago. She is a Milwaukee resident now, so the big city of Chicago is unfamiliar to her.  We showed her a great time.  



 she's the one in the middle. the short one. :)




My other cousin's little baby boy was baptised this weekend.  He is such a little nugget.



2 comments:

  1. I've read that the more you TOUCH an item, the more attached you are to it.

    You need something that you CAN'T SEE into, and go through you closet, and if you haven't worn it in a YEAR - DUMP IT.

    I can do this for you - I'm good at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am horrible about giving away clothes. I will put it off for so long and then one day I just go on this spree where I get rid of a ton of stuff. I feel better for about a week until I start to realize how much I gave away that I want back.

    ReplyDelete