Friday, June 4, 2010

Dublin - Too. Much. Jameson.

After I wrote the last entry, I went to the "Welcome Reception" for the Psychoneuroimmunology Research Society (PNIRS) conference that Jay is here for.  I finally met some of the people in Jay's lab who he always talks about that are cool.  We drank free Carlesburg beer and ate some appetizers.  I was bored.  Everyone was talking about their research as I was thinking quietly to myself... "What in the hell are they talking about? Just smile and nod, smile and nod..."  The reception was held at one of the halls at Trinity College so I finally got to walk around the campus.  

 
The wooden entryway to the campus

 The bell tower.


 
 The buildings are beautiful.


 
 Some of Jay's fellow lab peeps

Our next stop was a place called O'Neill's.  It was a huge bar with multiple levels and rooms, live music (two Irish women who were amazing), and a beer garden at the top.  We had our dinner here, I got fish and chips (so good) and Jay had some sort of lamb stew (judging from his giant grin of delight... he loved it).  They give you a ridiculous amount of food.  We drank Guiness (duh), Smithwick's, Jameson, and I finally got to try Bulmer's cider.  The cider was pretty darn good, although it wasn't served in the fashion I was told to drink it - order the bottle and pour it over ice.  We hung out in the beer garden most of the night and did after hours at a place called 4 Dame Lane.  Downstairs had huge booths, which we filled up with the group of us and upstairs was a club scene. 
 The bars at O'Neill's were so elaborate and gorgeous

 Some of the tables had these self-pour taps.  
They have a meter that runs and keeps track of how many pints you pour. 
Then you pay at the end.

Me and my Bulmers Cider... and Neil.
Melissa, Neil, Jay, Me and Steve (one side of our booth at 4 Dame Lane)


On our way home we stopped at this Mediterranean place called Sultan's and ordered some after hours food.  It was a very random place, but they served falafel (which is what I wanted), but we ended up just ordering chicken fingers.  We came home and I literally laid on the bed and fell asleep... too much Jameson for me, lads.  We were out until after 2am and poor Jay and Neil had to get up and go to the conference.  They were out the door at 9am... an hour late... oops.
Sultan's

This is my "Jay, I'm TIIIRREED... let's go home!!!" face.
Today I am on a mission to find souvenirs for myself and other people.  I also need to make it to some of the spots I mentioned yesterday.

Off I go!



No comments:

Post a Comment